If you want to change your name in Nevada, you must file a petition with the court. Changing your name is a step-by-step process that requires filing paperwork. If you follow the steps, you can change your name in Nevada. Nevada Revised Statutes 41.270-41.290 are the laws for name changes in the State of Nevada. You may also want to work with a Las Vegas name change attorney to ensure a successful process. Here’s how to change your name in Nevada:

Steps For Changing Your Name in Nevada

1. Find Your District Court

You’re going to file court papers in your local District Court. Every county in Nevada has a District Court. To complete the paperwork, you need to identify your District Court. You can use the Nevada District Court website to find your court.

2. Fill Out the Paperwork

To change your name, you file a petition for name change in the District Court. A petition for name change includes the request itself and a civil cover sheet. The local court may also require a proposed order for name change. A cover sheet is the form you need to open a legal case in the court. It identifies the type of case that you’re filing. If you have a felony conviction, you must also submit fingerprints.

The State of Nevada provides forms that you can fill out. They have a Petition For Adult Name Change form and a civil cover sheet. You must also prepare a Notice of Petition for Name Change. Make sure that you fill out the forms completely including your first, middle, and last names.

3. Get Fingerprints (If You Need Them)

If you have a felony conviction, you need to submit fingerprints. You can get the fingerprints at any law enforcement headquarters. The courts need your fingerprints to ensure that they have a complete copy of your criminal record and that you’re not seeking the name change to avoid the law.

4. Gather Supporting Documentation

You should have any supporting documentation that’s relevant to your case. For example, if you want to change your name because of marriage, you should have your birth certificate and your marriage certificate. If you’re changing your name because of divorce, you should have your birth certificate, your marriage certificate, and your divorce decree. The court needs to know why you want to change your name, and your documentation is proof for the court. (If you’re changing your name at the time you get married, you can do that automatically as part of your marriage documents. You don’t need to do a petition for name change.)

5. Notarize Your Paperwork

A petition for name change must be notarized. A bank, post office, and most law offices have notaries available. Once you notarize your documents, you can file your petition with the court.

6. File Your Petition With the Court

Once you have all of the paperwork completed and notarized, it’s time to file the paperwork with the court. You need two copies of the petition and the civil cover sheet. The county where you file may also ask you for a summary disposition motion.

7. Publish Notice of the Petition

To complete the name change process, you must publish notice of your name change request in the local newspaper. The court requires you to publish the notice immediately after you file, once a week for three weeks. Then, you file an affidavit of newspaper publication with the court. Attach a copy of the newspaper notice with your affidavit.

8. Wait 10 Days

After you file your notice of name change request, you wait 10 days to see if anyone files an objection to the name change notice. The court puts your paperwork on hold during this period. If no one objects, the court may sign your order.

9. Attend the Court Hearing

If the court doesn’t sign the order, they set the matter for a hearing. The court may set a hearing if someone objects to the order or if they suspect an improper purpose for the name change. In cases where the court schedules a hearing, you attend the hearing. Be prepared to provide supporting documents to the court and have a statement prepared about why you should receive the name change.

10. Finalize Your Name Change

Once the court signs the order for name change, the process is complete. However, you still have work to do. You need to change your driver’s license, passport, and financial records. It can be helpful to take a few certified copies of the order with you when you leave the courthouse so that you have them to change records.

Get Help With Your Name Change
Use our 24/7 online tool to schedule time with one of our experienced lawyers.
Schedule Now

Filling Out Name Change Paperwork

Other Things To Know When Requesting a Nevada Name Change

Residency Requirements

You must meet residency requirements when you request a name change in Nevada. You must have lived in the county where you file for at least six weeks. In addition, you must intend to remain in the county indefinitely.

Age Requirements

Anyone filing an adult petition for name change must be at least 18 years old. If you’re under 18, a parent must file on your behalf. The process is slightly different for children.

Proper and Reasonable Cause

The court may grant a name change petition for proper and reasonable cause. Things like marriage, divorce or other life changes are grounds to change your name. You can’t change your name to avoid creditors, commit fraud, or otherwise escape criminal or civil responsibility.

Name Change Petition for a Minor in Nevada

A minor may petition the court for a name change, but a parent must petition on behalf of the child. When both parents are alive, they should petition together. If the other parent doesn’t consent to the name change, you may still file, but you must give the other parent formal notice and an opportunity to object. If one of the biological parents is deceased, you must file a copy of the death certificate.

Attorneys for Name Change in Nevada

Are you thinking about changing your name? Our attorneys can help. At Half Price Lawyers, we provide professional, affordable legal services.

When you want your name change to be a smooth, fast, and successful process, contact us. We can help you navigate the legal system and avoid mistakes that can complicate your case. Call our team of Nevada attorneys for a free and confidential consultation about your case.

About the Author

Mark Coburn, Esq.

Mark Coburn is a dedicated and experienced defense attorney serving the Southern Nevada area. His passion for the law and commitment to his clients has made him one of the most prominent defense attorneys in Nevada. If you’re in need of a defense attorney, contact Mark Coburn for a free consultation on your case.